Sunday, November 27, 2011

For The Joy Set Before Us

Last night I was thinking about how we go through trials that test us, and that is a lot of what I have been telling you all, especially that we need to persevere through those times. And though that is very true, I wanted to touch on the part where we obtain what we have diligently sought after.

For the joy that was set before Christ Jesus (the joy was us in Him and Him in us) He endured the cross. And the word endured means that what He went through was hard, but because He saw what was ahead He was able to endure suffering for the present time.
In the same way we are to look at the joy before us. But we are not to look at it as something far away and only something that we can 'dream' about. But we are to look at it as though we were just minutes away from obtaining it. Cause we are!

I think it is really important is to look back at prayers that God has answered and to see that, yes there was suffering, while you were waiting for the answer, but when the answer came the joy was so worth the trial.
And as well I think it very important to look at the joy and not the trail. Our Father loves giving us joy and that abundantly! And if we focus on the trail then we will be bogged down and  discouraged, that is why we look at the goodness of God, His joy.

So I just wanted to encourage you all that the joy FAR exceeds the suffering, and that it is definitely worth it to persevere.
So don't give up praying for Skandar. And what ever else you are needing to persevere through, DON'T GIVE UP.

--Benjamin

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks Ben for sharing! I really needed to hear that! It's so important to look ahead to the joy that awaits us! :)

    I actually have been reflecting a lot on past trials and times when I prayed for months about something, and the joy that awaited me afterward was indescribable!!! The Lord is SO faithful!

    For the past couple years (especially since around this time last year), I have felt such despair, and inability to fix my situation. And now finally, after praying and crying out to the Lord, and learning so many things, I now feel joy! And although I am a very joyful and happy person in general, I hadn't been joyful in a long time. This is the first time I feel the joy of the Lord, though! I know that the Lord is taking care of me, and He loves me (although I don't know why!), and that I need to trust Him. So after what seems like an eternity of darkness and trials, I now can say "the joy of the Lord is my strength!"

    I keep hearing in my head though that this won't last for long, and that I don't deserve to have joy! But now I can say NO! The Lord has shown me mercy, and I am accepting His gift of joy! And it will always be with me! The Spirit will always be there and when I abide in Him, and I put my trust in Him, I can always count on the joy that awaits me!

    It's funny how when you grow up in a Christian home, all the little verses you hear like "the joy of the Lord is my strength", "trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding", and "set your mind on things above!" suddenly come to life when you are in a situation when you need them! :)

    Here are a couple parts of Isaiah 40 that have really spoken to me:

    Isaiah 40: 1 & 2
    “Comfort, comfort my people,”
    says your God.
    2 “Speak tenderly to Jerusalem.
    Tell her that her sad days are gone
    and her sins are pardoned.
    Yes, the Lord has punished her twice over
    for all her sins.”

    Oh yes! The Lord has punished me twice over for my sins! But now, my sad days are gone! :)

    Isaiah 40:27-31
    "27 O Jacob, how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles?
    O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights?
    28 Have you never heard?
    Have you never understood?
    The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of all the earth.
    He never grows weak or weary.
    No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
    29 He gives power to the weak
    and strength to the powerless.
    30 Even youths will become weak and tired,
    and young men will fall in exhaustion.
    31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
    They will soar high on wings like eagles.
    They will run and not grow weary.
    They will walk and not faint."

    The part that says "even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall exhaustion" really spoke to me! Even though I am young, I grow weak and tired. And it seems like all I ever am is weak and tired! But those trust in the Lord will find new strength! :) I have put my trust in the Lord, and have found new strength! Praise God!!! :)

    Isaiah 40 is an amazing chapter, and you can read it here:http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2040&version=NLT

    This is super long, but I have to say one more thing! :P Something that has really helped me is the book "The Screwtape Letters" C.S Lewis.

    You can listen to the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre drama on grooveshark here: http://grooveshark.com/#/album/The+Screwtape+Letters/5618398

    Again, thank you so much for that encouraging message Ben! :) God bless!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete